Citrus Every Day
You might already know some of the stellar health benefits of citrus fruits, like their super-dose of vitamin C and flu-fighting properties.
These vibrant, colourful fruits though have lots of health benefits (not to mention they are delicious!). Read on for 7 health benefits that eating citrus will bring you.
- Heart Health. Citrus contains flavonoids, plant compounds that research shows may promote heart health and protect against heart disease.
- Hydration. Citrus has a high water content with oranges at about 81% water and grapefruit at 90%! In addition to being a refreshing snack, citrus will ensure your body stays hydrated.
- Glowing Skin. Citrus is packed with vitamin C, which plays a key role in collagen production, keeping skin looking fresh and young.
- Fibre. We should aim to get around 30g of fibre a day. Citrus fruits have a ton of fibre, which will help keep your immune system strong and also keep you fuller for longer. Be sure to eat as much of the fruit as possible.
- Low Glycemic Index. Get a little sweet fix without that terrible sugar crash later by reaching for an orange or clementine. Citrus has a low glycemic index, meaning its sugars are released slowly into the bloodstream giving you a steady stream of energy without a spike or crash.
- Flu-fighting. Immunity: Vitamin C is often celebrated for it’s cold-fighting properties, and research shows it may help shorten and lessen the severity of a cold.
- Sensory Stimualation: The citric acid means all citrus fruits add a sharpness and a brightness to dishes and a pow punch of alertness to the inside of your mouth. If you are someone who tends to eat from boredom or you are seeking sensory input citrus is the perfect snack for you.