Cosy, comforting perfect Sunday evening dessert
- 6 large Irish Bramley cooking apples
- 150 g blackberries
- 60 g caster sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 120 g plain flour
- 80 g oats
- 110 g cold butter cut into cubes
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50 g mixed seeds
- Fresh cream custard or ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170c fan/gas 5.
- Peel, core and slice apples in bite size chunks.
- In a pot gently cook the apples with sugar and lemon juice for 5-8 minutes until slightly tender. I love the fruit mix with a slight tang, so add extra sugar if you prefer it sweeter.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and dot around blackberries.
- Add the plain flour, Oats and caster sugar in a bowl with a good pinch of salt. Slice in 110g cold butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Pour the crumb mix over the apples and berries to form a pile in the centre, then use a fork to even out. Gently press the surface with the back of the fork so the crumble holds together and goes crisp.
- Set on a baking tray and put in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden and the apples feel very soft when you insert a small, sharp knife. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream !