I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Sometimes (oftentimes, actually) the best food is the simplest. The formula is simple: local, seasonal produce + quality ingredients + a little bit of love = the best meal ever. This Buttery Colcannon Mash is just gorgeous and is the perfect accompaniment to my Irish Beef Stew. While it’s a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, this traditional Irish dish is like a big hug and fantastic for whenever you want a delicious, comforting meal.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 200 g kale washed and thinly sliced
- 50 pls milk
- 50 mls cream
- 100 g butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 spring onions / fresh parsley
- Boil the potatoes in salted boiling water until they are tender.
- Wash and thinly slice the kale. Plunge in to boiling water and then refresh in ice cold water. Squeeze out every drop of excess water.
- Mash the cooked potatoes well, dollop in the butter and allow the warmth of the potatoes to melt it. Stir in the kale, seasoning and milk. Combine. Before serving garnish fresh parsley / scallions and drizzle with warm cream on top.
- Serve with Irish Stew.