Zero Waste, Seasonal & Delicious
When it comes to reducing food waste, it’s all about thinking creatively and making use of every part of our ingredients. That’s why we’re excited to share this zero-waste cauliflower leaf pesto recipe with you – it’s a delicious way to use up every part of the cauliflower, including the often-overlooked leaves. Not only is this recipe a great way to reduce food waste, but it’s also packed full of nutrient-dense ingredients that will nourish your body from the inside out.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the key ingredients and their benefits:
Cauliflower leaves: The leaves of the cauliflower are often discarded, but they’re actually full of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber. Using them in this recipe not only reduces waste but also adds a nutritional boost to the pesto.
Spinach and rocket: Both spinach and rocket are leafy greens that are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They’re also low in calories and carbohydrates, making them a great addition to a healthy diet.
Basil: Fresh basil not only adds a delicious flavor to the pesto but also provides health benefits such as anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a salty and savory flavor to the pesto, but it’s also a good source of calcium and protein.
Olive oil: Extra-virgin olive oil is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to numerous health benefits, including improved heart health.
Nuts: Nuts like almonds or pine nuts add a crunchy texture and nutty flavor to the pesto, but they’re also a good source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber.
By using these nutrient-dense ingredients in our zero-waste cauliflower leaf pesto recipe, we’re creating a dish that not only tastes great but also supports our overall health and well-being. So next time you’re cooking with cauliflower, don’t forget to save the leaves and whip up a batch of this delicious pesto. It’s a win-win for both your taste buds and the planet!
Cauliflower Leaf Pesto
- Leaves from 1 large cauliflower about 5/6 leaves
- 50 g baby spinach
- 50 g rocket
- 25 g fresh basil leaves
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese
- 75 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 g toasted nuts such as almonds or pine nuts
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash the cauliflower leaves and dry them well. Remove any tough stems or veins and roughly chop the leaves.
- In a food processor, combine the chopped cauliflower leaves, spinach, rocket, basil, parmesan cheese, and toasted nuts. Pulse until everything is finely chopped and well combined.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the pesto is smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pesto to a jar or airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.