Chicken Katsu Curry
Indulge in crispy katsu chicken smothered in rich, aromatic curry, a comforting family favourite.Print Pin Rate
- 4 chicken breasts roughly 150g each
- 1 eggs lightly beaten
- 50 g flour
- 150 g breadcrumbs panko or white
- Spray oil
- 400 g basmati rice
For the curry sauce
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- Butternut squash optional
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tbsp tomato puree or ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- For the sauce, begin by heating oil in a saucepan and frying onion over medium heat. Add carrots and garlic and cook for a further 8-10 minutes until the carrots become soft and tender. Stir in curry powder, Chinese five spice and flour. Cook for 1 minute, then gradually add tomato puree, honey, soy sauce, coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. To make an incredible smooth sauce, you can then blitz to a smooth consistency.
- Butterfly each chicken breast to an even thickness. In three separate bowls, place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Dip each fillet into flour, tap off excess, then egg and breadcrumb and repeat.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium/high heat and cook the chicken on either side until golden, transfer to the oven for 10-12 minutes to completely cook through.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the rice for 12-15 minutes, per packet instructions, then drain.
- Serve the rice, sliced chicken breast and pour over katsu curry sauce.