A delicious super moist chocolate muffin recipe, with ancient grains and freshly cooked beetroot
Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins
Super Moist Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins with Ancient Grains and High FibrePrint Pin
- 125 g plain flour
- 50 g ancient grains flour blend such as spelt, quinoa, or amaranth
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 125 g brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 200 g light sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200 g cooked and grated beetroot about 2 medium-sized beetroots
- 50 g dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks optional
- 2 tbsp nutella optional
- Twirl chocolate bar garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve together the flours, ancient grains flour blend, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Do not overmix; a few lumps are fine.
- Fold in the grated beetroot, dark chocolate chunks, and nutella if using, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean, with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Once baked, remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the tin for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the super moist chocolate and beetroot muffins as a delicious and nutritious snack or breakfast option. Enjoy!
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or frozen for a longer shelf life. Each muffin has about 250kcal, 3g of saturated fat and 5g of fibre, this is an approximate nutritional value. If you make these beetroot chocolate muffins, I'd love to know how they turned out for you. Let me know in the comments below. 🙂