Quite possibly my most favourite dessert in the world. I have really taken this chocolate mousse to the next level. This is a rich,, smooth and velvety mousse, topped with a deep layer of of chocolate ganache and then topped it with a sweet crunchy honeycomb. This is a real show show topper dessert and when served in fancy cocktail glasses this will delight your most discerning dinner guest.
To recreate this dessert and watch along on the 6 O’Clock Show!
Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Ganache & Honeycomb
Stunningly rich and decadent. This elegant dessert is perfect for a special occasionPrint Pin Rate
- 300 g milk chocolate
- 5 eggs
- 30 g butter
- 150 g chocolate
- 75 g double cream
- 25 g butter
- 150 g castor sugar
- 50 g golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp water
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Melt the chocolate and butter together ( this can be done very slowly at 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between or in a bain marie ( a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water).
- When the chocolate and butter is melted whisk in the egg yolks. Then using a spatula or a large metal spoon fold in the egg whites. Do this gradually, until they are all folded in and you have a light fluffy mousse.
- Pour into glasses, cover with cling film and allow to set over night.
- Melt the chocolate and butter. Stir in the cream and allow to cool a little.
- The ganache can be put in the bottom of the glass or on top of the set mousse.
- Line a flat tray with parchment paper.
- Bring the sugar, water and golden syrup to the boil for about 5 minutes. It will turn a deep, dark golden colour. If using a sugar thermometer it should reach a temperature of 150?. Please be careful at this stage as hot sugar gives a bad burn.
- When it has reached 150? sprinkle in the baking soda and whisk. It will explode and develop into big bubbles.
- Quickly pour out onto the lined tray and allow to set and cool for about 30minutes.
- Crack into delicious crunchy shards and chunks.
- Be sure to get into an air tight container ASAP. Honeycomb is hygroscopic and will go soft and sticky if left out in the air.
- To finish, the mouse top with crumbled pieces of honeycomb. Optional add a dollop of cream on top.