This recipe ticks all of the boxes for everything you want in a mac and cheese, and then some. It’s rich, creamy, buttery, and incredibly delicious. The cauliflower gives the dish some boosted nutrition that little ones and picky eaters won’t even notice and a lovely nutty flavour.
- 1 large cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 300 g elbow macaroni
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 35 g all-purpose flour
- 500 ml milk
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 100 g grated cheddar cheese
- 100 g grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 sheets of filo pastry
- 60 ml olive oil / melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot, steam the cauliflower florets until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Béchamel Sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and bubbling. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Add the cheddar and mozzarella cheese, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni and cauliflower to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Filo Time: Grease a pie dish with olive oil. Layer the filo pastry sheets, brushing each layer with olive oil as you go, until the dish is completely covered.
- Spoon the mac and cheese mixture into the filo-lined dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filo is golden and crispy.
- Serve hot and enjoy your crispy filo cauliflower Mac and cheese pie