Date and Vanilla Compote with Sea Salt
Deliciously thick and sweet with a hint of vanillaPrint Pin Rate
- 250 g pitted dates chopped
- 120 ml warm water
- 1 vanilla pod or 5ml vanilla extract / vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt adjust to taste
- Prepare Dates:
- Pit and chop the dates into small pieces.
- Vanilla Infusion:
- In a saucepan, combine chopped dates, water, vanilla seeds/extract, and a pinch of sea salt.
- If using a vanilla pod, split it open lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add the whole pod for more flavor.
- Optional: Add lemon juice for a slightly tangy flavor.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until dates are soft and the mixture thickens.
- Stir occasionally, mashing the dates with the back of a spoon.
- Adjust Sweetness and Saltiness:
- Blitz: Pour the contents into a food processor and blitz well until a smooth paste forms.
- Spoon into porridge, or even over ice cream, yoghurt, pancakes, or enjoy on its own. The sea salt enhances the flavours.
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy your simple and delicious Date and Vanilla Compote!