Bold Flavours & Big Colours
This is one the easiest sides to add to your festive collection. Just pop everything into the slow cooker, allow it to do its thing and serve it up the the table. The flavours mingle and develop as it cooks and it has the perfect balance of sweet, savoury and a hint of pickled sourness. Perfection.
Slow Cooker Festive Red Cabbage
- 1 kg red cabbage
- 2 white onions chopped
- 4 Granny Smiths apples peeled, cored and chopped
- zest 1 orange or 2 clementines
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 100 g light brown soft sugar
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 200 ml dry cider
- 25 g butter
- Heat your slow cooker to Low. Peel the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard. Quarter the cabbage, remove the tough stem, and then thinly slice.
- Arrange a layer of the cabbage on the bottom of your slow cooker, then top with some of onions, apples, zest, mixed spice, sugar and some seasoning. Continue to create layers until you have used up these ingredients. Season.
- Pour over the vinegar and cider and dot the butter on top.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 hrs until tender.