The One Nourishing Treat You Will Need This Week
This recipe was kind of a little work in progress with some trial and error. But, I love that, because it will most likely be a trial and error for you too! Different brands, different nut butters, and different maple syrups all behave differently so you will probably need to tweak as you go along.
Donagh was with me the whole way through… tasting bite-by-bite and totally in his element. “Great work Mom, you’re getting there,” was my favourite motivational speech to keep me working and him eating!
Make these and store them in the freezer. There is enough here to share for about a week or for yourself for three weeks.
They are so worth it!
- 200 g ground almonds
- 200 g oats blitzed
- 200 g peanut butter
- 200 mls maple syrup
- 1 heaped tsp vanilla bean paste
- 50 g salted peanuts
- 350 g dark chocolate
- Handful extra peanuts finely chopped for garnish
- Place oats in a blender or Nutribullet and blitz until they are in a flour consistency.
- Next, melt your nut butter and maple syrup together, either using a bain-marie or microwave.
- Stir it all around until it looks like caramel and then add in your vanilla bean paste and salted peanuts.
- Combine your ground almonds and oats and then mix in your caramel mixture.
- Stir it around, and if it looks a little dry add about 40 pls of water (or more if needed).
- Tip it out onto your baking sheet lined with parchment and flatten it down really well.
- Cover it and pop it into the freezer for a couple of hours.
- After a few hours take it out of the freezer and melt your dark chocolate.
- Remove the parchment and cut it into squares, then coat them into your chocolate and place them onto another piece of parchment.
- Sprinkle them with peanuts and sea salt, and voila!