Sustainable & delicious, perfect for these summer evenings
Join me on a culinary adventure as we embark on a mission to transform humble leftover fridge vegetables into a sensational dish that sings with vibrant flavours. In this recipe, we take those forgotten treasures from the depths of our refrigerator and give them new life in a delicate tempura batter, perfectly complemented by a luscious sun-blushed tomato aioli.
The beauty of this dish lies in its simplicity. A light and crisp tempura coating envelops an array of colourful vegetables, ranging from courgette and peppers to mushrooms and broccoli. Each piece is carefully dipped in a light, almost see through batter, transforming these neglected ingredients into crispy morsels of delight.
But let’s not forget the star of the show: the sun-blushed tomato aioli. Made using shop-bought mayonnaise, it’s a quick and easy way to infuse a burst of sun-drenched sweetness into our dish. Blending the sun-blushed tomatoes, creamy mayo, garlic, and a squeeze of lemon juice creates a velvety-smooth aioli that dances on the taste buds.
Imagine the scene—a platter of golden-brown tempura vegetables, glistening with their newfound glory, presented alongside a bowl of the sun-blushed tomato aioli. Dip a crisp morsel into the tangy, umami-rich sauce, and prepare to be transported to a realm of pure culinary bliss.
So, let’s dust off those fridge dwellers and embark on a delightful journey of reinvention and cherishing the art of simple yet sublime cooking.
Vegetable Tempura with Sun-Blushed Tomato Aioli
- 125 g plain flour
- 60 g cornflour
- 5 g baking powder
- 5 g seaweed salt
- 1 g turmeric dried
- 240 ml ice-cold sparkling water
- Assorted leftover fridge vegetables e.g. courgette, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower
- Vegetable oil for frying
Sun-Blushed Tomato Aioli
- 100 g sun-blushed tomatoes drained
- 120 ml low fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 5 g dijon mustard
- 1 anchovy fillet
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preparation: Preheat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a large, deep saucepan to 180°C (350°F).
- Sun-blushed tomato aioli: In a food processor or blender, combine the sun-blushed tomatoes, mayonnaise, chopped garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste, and transfer the aioli to a serving bowl. Set aside.
- Tempura Batter: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornflour, baking powder, and salt for the tempura batter. Slowly pour in the sparkling water while whisking continuously until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
- Vegetables: Cut the leftover fridge vegetables into bite-sized pieces suitable for tempura. Dip each vegetable piece into the tempura batter, ensuring they are well-coated.
- Cook Time: Carefully place the battered vegetables into the preheated oil, a few pieces at a time, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for about 2-3 minutes or until the tempura turns golden and crispy. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the vegetables and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Repeat the process until all the vegetables are fried.
- Serve: Once all the tempura vegetables are ready, serve them warm alongside the sun-blushed tomato aioli. You can garnish the dish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley, if desired.