Skincare has become a massive trend over the last number of years, even more so than make-up. That never-ending quest for radiant, glowing, healthy skin is ever present and I think that journey is starting earlier and earlier.
My pre-teen has started to show an interest in nails, make-up, fitness and skin care of late, so I decided to be proactive and figured “OK, let’s do this the right way from the beginning” Skin care is just like oral care in my opinion. Start them off on the right track and as we mean to go on.
We were also starting to see the beginnings of some oily t-zones, whiteheads, blackheads, that usual bits and I just thought let’s nip this in the bud. I emailed The Skin Nerd and booked one of their pre-teen consults. It was €25 for 15/20 minutes online. A quick online consultation form in advance and 2 photos later we were ready to go.
The consultation was simple, clear, and straightforward and our Nerdette recommended products based on our budget ( basic/low). I had no intention of wrapping myself into monthly requests for expensive products.
After the consultation, we were emailed our list of products and links to their online store. I ordered and they were here by the end of the week.
She is religious about using them and a good routine and habit are already established. Three weeks in, we can see a difference too which I kind of honestly didn’t quite expect.
Here is my why:
Pre-teens, typically aged 10 to 12, are at a pivotal stage in their lives where they’re forming habits that will impact their health and well-being for years to come. Understanding the significance of establishing the right skincare routine during these formative years is essential for nurturing skin that will glow with health and withstand the tests of time.
Understanding the Science of Habit Formation During the Formative Years
The pre-teen years are often overlooked in discussions about skincare, yet they represent a vital period in a person’s life. During this time, hormonal changes can lead to an array of skin-related challenges, such as acne, increased oil production, and sensitivity. It’s also the time when lifelong habits are formed.
According to experts, habits formed during preadolescence are more likely to persist into adulthood. Establishing a solid skincare routine during these years is an investment in the future health of one’s skin. Teaching preteens about proper skincare sets them up for a lifetime of self-care, helping them navigate the challenges of adolescence and beyond with confidence.
The Future Is Skincare
Skincare is not just about achieving a flawless complexion; it’s also about maintaining healthy and resilient skin throughout life. As the skincare industry continues to advance, we are gaining a deeper understanding of how early habits can profoundly impact the way our skin ages. Preteens are at the forefront of this exciting future in skincare, and here’s why:
- Prevention is key: The adage “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” holds in skincare as well. Starting a skincare routine in preadolescence helps prevent common issues like acne, sun damage, and premature ageing. By laying a strong foundation, preteens can minimize the need for corrective measures later in life.
- Customisation: Modern skincare is becoming increasingly personalized. By introducing preteens to skincare early, they can learn about their unique skin type and needs. This knowledge will empower them to make informed choices about the products and routines that work best for them.
- Building confidence: Adolescence can be challenging, with self-esteem often taking a hit due to skin issues. Teaching preteens how to care for their skin not only promotes physical health but also boosts confidence and self-image. A healthy relationship with their skin can lead to a healthier overall self-esteem.
Nutrients and Elements for Pre-teen Skin
Now that we understand the importance of starting a skincare routine during preadolescence let’s delve into the essential nutrients and elements that preteens need to maintain youthful and radiant skin:
- Hydration: Water is essential for skin health. Encourage preteens to drink plenty of water to keep their skin hydrated from within. Proper hydration helps maintain skin elasticity and prevents dryness.
- Sunscreen: Protecting the skin from harmful UV rays is crucial. A broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 should be a part of their daily routine, rain or shine.
- Cleansing: A gentle cleanser helps remove dirt, oil, and pollutants without stripping the skin of its natural oils. This step is essential to prevent acne and maintain a healthy pH balance.
- Moisturisation: Preteens should use a lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer to keep their skin hydrated without clogging pores.
- Antioxidants: Foods rich in antioxidants, such as fruits and vegetables, can provide the skin with protection against free radicals, which can accelerate ageing.
- Vitamin C: This potent antioxidant is crucial for collagen production and skin repair. Incorporating vitamin C-rich foods into their diet can support their skin’s health.
- Adequate sleep: Quality sleep is essential for skin regeneration. Encourage preteens to establish a consistent sleep schedule to promote skin repair and overall well-being.
- Avoidance of harsh products: Preteens should avoid harsh scrubs, astringents, and strong acids in their skincare routine. These products can be too abrasive for young, sensitive skin.
Starting pre-teens off with the right skincare routine is more than just a surface-level concern. It’s an investment in their future health and self-esteem. By understanding the science behind this formative period, recognizing the importance of skincare in the years to come, and providing preteens with the essential nutrients and elements they need, we can help them embark on a journey to radiant, resilient, and confident skin. Remember, the habits formed during these years will not only shape their skin but also their approach to self-care for a lifetime.