Sweet, soft and chewy
- 2 tins peaches or 8/10 fresh peaches or nectarines
- 120 g butter
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- Open and drain two tins of peaches – reserve the juice of half a tin, and place in a bowl with sliced peaches to keep moist
- Cut each peach in half, de-stone each one, and slice into quarters. Sprinkle each with a little sugar and place them in a pan on a medium heat to warm and soften slightly.
- In an oven-proof baking dish, place the butter and pop into the preheated oven to melt.
- While the butter is melting, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla and milk to form a batter.
- Once the butter is hot and sizzling, remove from the oven, and pour over the batter mixture and sliced peaches.
- Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until golden crispy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside.