The Perfect End To Any Meal
This dessert is a classic any day of the year. I love that it can be made ahead, and then the addition of the sauce transforms this sponge into a deeply comforting, rich and luxurious treat. Serve with some Madagascar vanilla custard, freshly whipped cream or pecan ice cream and this will win the hearts of all at your table.
Pear and Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Oven proof Dish : 30 x 30 x 8cm
- 125 g butter softened
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 100 g dates
- 100 mls boiling water
- 3 medium eggs lightly whisked
- 250 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp treacle
- 50 mls whole milk
- 3 fresh pears or a tin of pears drained
Whiskey Toffee Sauce
- 200 g butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 500 mls cream
- 75 mls Irish Whiskey optional
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste / 1 vanilla pod . 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 mls cream
- 300 mls pre-made custard
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Mise en Place: Grease the oven proof dish. Preheat the oven to 180℃ / 160℃ / gas 4. Weigh and measure all the ingredients. Peel the fresh pears and dice into 1cm pieces.
- Pudding: Beat the butter and sugar for 6-7 minutes until it is light, fluffy and creamy. Add in the vanilla and treacle and beat again. Pour in the eggs and milk and beat in. Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and fold in. Gently whisk again until everything is combined. Stir in the chopped pears. Keep back about 1 pear for garnish.
- Pour into the oven dish and bake for 40 minutes. You will know it is cooked as it pulls away from the side of the tin, it is springy and well risen.
- Whiskey Toffee Sauce: Put the butter, light brown sugar, whiskey and cream into a heavy based saucepan.
- Serving Up: As the sticky toffee pudding cools, pour half the sauce over. Allow it to sit for a few moments.
- Spoon out big scoops into warm bowls, pour over some extra toffee sauce and garnish with some chopped pear. Garnish with a sprig of thyme, a dust of icing sugar and a big dollop of vanilla cream.