Peas on Toast with Herby Whipped Ricotta, Lemon Zest, Peas, and Prosciutto
A gourmet, delightful brunchPrint Pin Rate
- 200 g frozen peas
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 100 g prosciutto
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the whipped herby ricotta. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, minced garlic, lemon zest, chopped basil, and parsley. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Use a hand mixer or a fork to whip the mixture until it's smooth and well combined. Place the whipped ricotta in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the rest of the dish
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt, and then add the frozen peas. Cook the peas according to the package instructions, usually for about 2-3 minutes. You want them to be tender but still vibrant in colour.
- While the peas are cooking, preheat your oven's grill (broiler) on high heat
- Lay the prosciutto slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place them under the grill for about 1-2 minutes or until they become crispy. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly. Remove and set them aside.
- Toast your bread slices in a toaster or under the grill until they are golden and crispy. This should only take a couple of minutes
- Now it's time to assemble the dish. Place a slice of toasted bread on each serving plate. Spread a generous dollop of the herby whipped ricotta on each slice. Spoon the cooked peas evenly over the ricotta
- To serve, crumble the crispy prosciutto over the peas and drizzle a little olive oil on top for extra flavour. Garnish the dish with some extra fresh herbs, lemon zest, and a pinch of black pepper if desired. Serve the peas on toast with herby whipped ricotta, lemon zest, peas, and prosciutto immediately while it's still warm. Enjoy your delicious and elegant meal!