As the evenings get a little darker and the weather a little more chilly it is lovely to have a recipe that is modern and delicious but with that nod to comfort and warmth and this recipe is exactly that.We are going to create gently spiced beef patties and cook those really simply and serve on a brioche bun topped with mango chutney, a creamy slaw and a crispy onion bhaji
Pow Wow Burgers
- 600 g minced steak beef / pork mince
- 2/3 tbsp tikka curry paste depending on how spicy you like it
- 2 slices bread
- 50 mls milk
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 tbsp mango chutney
- 4 tbsp Slaw
- 2 tbsp mayo + 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 10 g mint
- 4 onion bhajis
- Sweet potato fries
- 2 white onions
- 200-400 mls sunflower oil
- 100 g plain flour
- 150 g water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ginger powder / fresh
- ½ tsp salt
- Soak the bread in some milk. Combine the minced beef, tikka paste and bread in a bowl and shape in to 4 burgers. Pop up on flat baking tray and cook in the oven at 180℃ fan/200℃ electric or gas mark 6.
- Combine the garlic mayonnaise, yogurt, mint and grated cucumber together in a bowl. Season and set aside.
- Make the onion bhaji’s and the sweet potato fries.
- Peel the onion, cut in half and slice. Combine all the ingredients for the batter in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan to about 160℃. Stir the water in to the dry ingredients and whisk until a thick batter is formed.
- Add in the onions. Have an onion proof tray lined with parchment paper ready. Drop a spoonful of mixture into the oil. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side until a Depp, dark golden colour. Season with a little salt. Drain on the parchment paper and keep warm in the oven until needed.
- Cook the burgers until crisp and brown on the outside and fully cooked on the inside. To test the juices should run clear on the inside. Allow to rest for a few moments.
- Warm the brioche buns, spread on the garlic mayo, pop on the burger pattie, dollop on some mango chutney an onion bhaji and slaw. Add a leaf of butterhead lettuce.
- Serve with sweet potato fries. Enjoy.