- 250 g plain flour
- 50 g margarine block
- 50 g butter hard
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 g pumpkin puree or 1 medium sized pumpkin
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ginger, mixed spice, nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the COLD butter and margarine. Using your fingers, mix together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Crack in one egg yolk and mix to combine a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to chill.
- Once chilled, roll out pastry into a pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Slice pumpkin into large chunks, discarding the seeds and flesh. Drizzle with a tiny amount of oil, roast with skin on for 45 minutes until tender.
- Once cooked, allow to cool, peel off skin, and squeeze out all the water. They are 90% water so from 1.2kg of flesh and skin, I got 296g of flesh.
- Combine condensed milk with flesh, vanilla, eggs and pumpkin spices.
- Pour the filling into the pastry-lined dish.
- Bake on the lowest shelf in the oven for 45 minutes, until slightly set in the middle.