A delightful autumn treat, blending the warm flavours of pumpkin with the tender, flaky goodness of a classic sconePrint Pin Rate
- 250 g flour
- 50 g brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 175/200 g pumpkin puree
- 60 g butter
- 50 g margarine
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Position the oven rack in the top half of the oven.
- Sieve flour, nutmeg, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub the butter into flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture. Add buttermilk, egg, vanilla., spice and pumpkin. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently until just smooth.
- Place on the baking tray, brush with buttermilk, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and bake for 22 minutes until golden on top, crisp on the bottom and pillowy inside