Spring In A Bottle
This simple syrup brings elegance and sweetness to any cocktail. It can be used to create a mocktail. In a chilled coupe glass or over ice in a high ball, I love to pour in some of this rhubarb syrup and top it with fresh lime juice and ginger ale. So refreshing. It is delicious drizzled over ice cream with some tinned peaches and fresh raspberries too.
Check out my most fabulous cocktail recipe here : Rhubarb & Ginger Gin Sour
- 300 g rhubarb I standard bunch
- 250 g caster sugar
- 300 mls water
- Wash the rhubarb, top and tail. Chop into 2cm pieces
- Add the water, sugar and rhubarb to a saucepan. Bring it to the boil and then turn it down to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sterilise a large glass bottle with boiling water. Sit the sieve over the jug. Have a bowl beside you and a spoon in hand.
- Pour the boiled rhubarb, sugar and water mixture slowly through the sieve, little by little. The beautiful pink syrup will drain into the jug and the rhubarb compote will sit in the sieve. Scoop the compote out and into a bowl. Continue until it incomplete Do not be tempted to scrape the end bits off the sieve and into the jug with the syrup.
- Put the compote in an airtight bowl and serve with porridge or ice cream or ue it as the filling for the galette .
- Wash the sieve, pass the liquid, and strain it a second time. Pour it into the sterilised bottle, put the lid on, label it and store it in the fridge.