My ultimate toasted sandwich!
Roast Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich with Melting Cheddar and Irish MozzarellaPrint Pin
- 1 large Sourdough Ciabatta/Baguette
- 3 tbsp creamy balsamic dressing
- 3 tbsp green pesto
- 1 jar roast red and yellow peppers
- 1 courgette cut into strips griddled
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp pinch lemon and rosemary sea salt
- 30 g Irish rocket washed
Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large handful of a combination of leftover spinach rocket and soft herbs like basil, parsley, tarragon, chives
- 1 heaped tbsp sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp olive oil adjust as you need but you want this to be a thicker pesto
- 1 clove garlic
- 60 g leftover cheddar cheese cheddar or any hard cheese will work
- Place all the ingredients in an old jam jar and shake well. Use as needed.
- Blitz the garlic, seeds and cheese together until they are roughly chopped. Pop in the green herbs. Blitz again. Add in the oil and blitz. Season well.
- Top and tail the courgette. Slice into thin rounds. Brush with oil and griddle on a low to medium heat until tender. Alternatively, a George Foreman grill or the BBQ works great.
- Open, drain and rinse the peppers.
- Slice the onion and set aside.
- Slice the bread lengthwise, Spread the pesto on one side of the bread and the creamy balsamic on the other side.
- Layer in the cheddar cheese, courgette, roast red peppers, red onion and mozzarella. Sit the rocket/basil leaves on top. Carefully pop the top slice of bread on.
- You can enjoy this sandwich hot or cold. For cold, using a serrated knife, cut the bread in half, sit down and savour every bite. For warm, wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven for 10-15 minutes until warm and melty.
- Alternatively, wrap it tight in foil, allow it to marinade and meld together for a day and enjoy it hot or cold the next day. To heat this, still wrapped in the foil, pop it into a pre heated oven and cook for 15 minutes until oozy and melty.