Although admittedly not the most romantic soul on the planet, Aisling believes in the power of a homemade gift filled with love and deliciousness for Valentine’s Day. This red velvet cake is the perfect answer to all your gifting woes. A light and fluffy sponge filled with a classic cream cheese frosting, topped with chocolate shavings and some rose petals from Greg O Shea, what more could you ask for on Valentines Day.
Watch me with Una Healy and Greg O Shea in the kitchen here on the 6 O’Clock Show.
Red Velvet Cake with ‘Cream’ Cream Cheese Icing
Red Velvet Cake
- 150 g butter
- 325 g castor sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 15 g cocoa
- 2 tsp red food colouring/paste - sugar flair
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 225 mls buttermilk
- 325 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp distilled white vinegar
‘Cream’ Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 150 g hard block cream cheese
- 600 g icing sugar
- 250 mls fresh cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ fan, 160℃, gas 4. Line a 23cm / 9inch cake tin with parchment on the base and grease.
- Sieve together all the dry ingredients - flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and salt. In a jug combine together the buttermilk, food colouring, vanilla and vinegar.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for about 4 - 7 minutes until it turns light and fluffy.
- Slowly beat in the eggs.
- Sieve 1/3 of the dry ingredients mix into the bowl, beat gently, then add 1/3 of the wet ingredients. Continue this system until all the ingredients are combined in the bowl, always ending on the dry ingredients.
- Divide the mixture gently between the tin/tins and bake for 20-25minutes. Leave the cake /cakes to cool for 20 minutes or so in the tin and then continue to cool on a wire rack. As they cool make this cream cream cheese icing.
- To make the icing beat the cream cheese until totally soft. Over a low to medium speed pour in the Avonmore fresh cream and whip. Quickly add in the icing sugar and continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks. Stir in the raspberries.
- Spread in the centre of the cake and then spread all over the outside of the cake.
- Grate the Lindt Lindor over the top and serve. Enjoy.