Smoky Cheddar and Pork Meatball Subs
Savoury pork meatballs smothered in smoky cheddar cheese served in a delicious sub sandwichPrint Pin Rate
- 800 g 5% pork mince or 400g 5 % Pork mince & 400g 2% turkey mince
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 100 g oak smoked cheddar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Quick Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 tin tomatoes or passata
- 1 onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- Wholegrain rolls
- Garlic cloves garlic butter
- Fresh mozzarella & Parmesan
- Sweet potato fries
- Peel and grate the onion and garlic. Grate the cheese. Place all these ingredients in a large bowl and add in the mince, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, breadcrumbs and bicarb.
- Using your hands combine all the ingredients. Shape them into small meatballs.
- Lay them onto a tray, cover them with cling film and allow them to rest until it is time to cook.
- Brush each meatball with a little oil. Cook them for about 3-4 minutes on medium to high heat on one side, then roll them over and cook for the same again.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- To make the tomato sauce, add all the ingredients for the spicy tomato sauce. Allow to simmer and be sure to deglaze the pan a little as the tin of tomatoes goes in. ( this means scrape all the little bits of flavour off the bottom.) After 3 or 4 minutes add the meatballs back in, tear over the fresh mozzarella, grate over a little parmesan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- To serve, warm your wholemeal rolls (you can take out some of the dough in the middle or serve them as an open sub.) Brush with a little garlic butter, lay in some fresh rocket, red onion and gherkins, then spoon in 2/3 meatballs. Serve with a side salad, coleslaw and some sweet potato fries