Zesty, floral, velvety sweetness!
Summer Lime and Elderflower Pie with Shortcrust Biscuit Base
Whether is is a garden party, a bbq or even a communion, confirmation or perhaps a retirement do, this dessert is a show stopper. It just captures the essence of summer with a side of simplicity and elegance. The delicate floral notes of the elderflower pair brilliantly with the zesty tang of the limes. The filling is smooth and velvety and then paired with the rich cream topping this is sweet indulgence at its best.Print Pin
Shortbread Tart Base:
- 250 g plain flour
- 75 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter pastry butter
- 4 limes zest & juice
- 1 tin / 397g condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 12 dessert spoons elderflower cordial
- 200 mls fresh cream
- 4 dessertspoons elderflower cordial
- 1 zest lime
Shortbread Tart Base
- Preheat the oven to 160℃.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Press into a 20cm loose bottom tart tin. Press up the sides and firmly into the bottom.
- Prick with a fork and bake for 20mins.
- When it comes out of the oven, after about 1/2 minutes press the base mixture back down into the edges.
Lime & Elderflower Filling
- Separate the eggs and pop the yolks in a mixing bowl.
- Open the tin of the condensed milk and pour in. Grate in the zest of the limes and squeeze in the juice. Spoon the the elderflower cordial. Whisk gently for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the filling in to the shortbread base and bake for 30 minutes. It will come out wobbly in the centre. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature in the tin. Transfer to the fridge to set.